Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Italian....

Last night was Italian. Real Italian. The extent of Italian for us is spaghetti, pizza, Italian bread, and Italian ice. We used my Christmas gift cards. Derek, the waiter, did his best to describe the items on the menu. Blaine chose Chicken Bryon. Or was that Byron. I had Chicken Parmasan. He had the mashed potatos. (not that Italian) and pasta fazool. I had the zucchini and ceasar salad.

Derek brought over the bread and a plate of herbs and garlic. He could tell we were Italian newbies. He mixed the herbs with olive oil and said people dip the bread in it and that it was delicious. Blaine immediately asked if they had butter. Derek brought butter too. After I mixed the oil and garlic herbs together, I spread it on the bread rather than 'dip'. It was tasty. Derek preferred to go to a nearby table and flirt with a girl eating tiramisu. No not eating, toying with. It got boxed up.
The food was delicious. We had a $ amount left on the cards for a future dessert.

We walked down the line to Dairy Queen for dessert this time. Someone strapped up a plaster cupid with red ribbons from a shelf to decorate for Valentine's Day. It looked like a cherub on a witch's broom. The red ribbon had been looped under the arms and around the wings. Very awkward. Then next door to the CVS for mints to counteract the
breath as we were going to the Italian opera, Barber of Seville.

We got there early as it started at 8:00. OH MY! This must have been the social highlight for all people over the age of ....oh let's say 70. We were shameless. We stood on the balcony and played 'who has natural hair colors'. No one. The men....bald. Numerous canes, walkers, and they made a "dash" for the elevator. I wore what I wore to school, my jeans. I bet Blaine a dollar that no one else would be wearing jeans. EVENTUALLY he found 1 person. I had to pay. Then I bet him double that there wouldn't be another. I won my money back.

We had excellent seats. The
mezzanine level has a perfect view. They had the translation projected above the stage. Good thing. It must have been first night because there were paper falling, the backdrop swinging from side to side when someone backstage must have bumped into it, and the singer backing up and almost tripping over.

There is never enough leg room and after being up since 5 am, I got sleepy by 10:00pm. We got home after 10:30pm. We had a great time. Wish you were here. And I had leftover food for lunch the next day.


2 comments:

underwear ninja said...

bonjourno princepessa!

nbk said...

Good description of our big Italian Night! We had fun.