Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Self + Improvement



I read in Reader's Digest that 'Naturally Slim' people do movements that use calories here and there that will add up to pounds lost over a year's time.

One of these was to stand on one foot and balance while you brush your teeth every day. It might also be good for the brain.

I learned that it's not easy to lean over so that the toothpaste goes in the sink while you're balancing. And it doesn't work well in flip flops. I am getting better at it though.

Another skill I'm working on is whistling. If you don't practice, you can lose the ability to hit as many notes. Now everyday in the car on the way to work, I practice. I start with Happy Birthday, then the Marine's Hymn, then the Lonely Goatherd. Some days are easier. On the way home I'll try higher notes.

It's these little skills that gradually fade till one day you're surprised that you can't do them very well or even do them at all.

2 comments:

Big Penguin said...

My my, what has all that whistling done to your hair?

Iris Blue said...

That's an x-ray view of my brain improving from balancing on one foot.