Monday, April 16, 2007

My Two Yuck Feet

I went to the podiatrist today. After several years of not being able to bend my toes, I reached a critical stage when I wasn't able to walk in my shoes and had to buy $75 sandals at a resort boutique in order to survive.

The doctor took x-rays. You can see the bad big-toe joint with bone chips. The surprising thing was that I have a needle/pin buried in my left foot. I thought he was joking, but he showed me. I then recalled that when I was little I stepped on a pin. I remember Dad and Mom putting my foot in cold water then warm water and then Dad being the Tokheim guy, brought out this HUGE round magnet. It must have been the size of a saucer and about2-3 inches thick. Who knows why he would have it, but he tried to use it to see if it would pull out the pin/needle. It must have been so deep that they probably wondered if I even stepped on anything.

I remembered that evening we walked over to the street fair on Warren street. I didn't want to have a 'bad' foot then. Steve, my brother was little and was being pushed in a baby buggy rather then a stroller. He could sit up, but I guess they didn't have a stroller yet. On the way home my foot hurt and they let me ride in the buggy from about Jefferson St home. That would make me about 6-7 years old.

I also told him about my jumping off the couch onto the coffee can and cutting my foot to the bone. I guess I wasn't too good about wearing shoes and it's getting even now.

I was given shots of cortisone in both feet for the Morton's neuroma. OUCH!!! That is very painful. We also spoke of surgery to clean up the joints and using 'osteocure' rather than bio-pro. I have decisions and of course Dr. Kauffman is helping me with my research.

Mom used to say, "this getting old isn't what it's cracked up to be!"

AMEN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ew...a needle in your foot!